“Bonchon” means “my hometown” and is an homage to the company’s roots in Busan, South Korea. We are famous around the world for our signature fried chicken, which is double-fried with one of two secret sauces. Despite Bonchon’s growing presence around the world, our name ensures we never lose sight of our roots.
By bringing “my hometown” to the world, we strive for every Bonchon dining experience to be synonymous with quality, service and a fresh and delicious product.
Bonchon is a franchise specialized in Korean-style fried chicken with a variety of savory Asian fusion dishes and Korean specialties. Bonchon was born in Busan, South Korea and is raised in the heart of New York City. Bonchon has risen to fame, due to the popularity of its one-of-a-kind signature fried chicken. Bonchon has become a household name in the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, and the U.S. and is continuing to expand all over the globe with rapid growth in the United States. We pride ourselves in the fact that all our chicken is made-to-order using the highest quality ingredients.
Unique Menu Offering
Bonchon harmonizes the fried chicken and beer experience together with a delectable selection of Asian fusion cuisine. Bonchon’s main product, fried chicken, is made to order using the unique double-frying method perfected by our founder Jinduk Seo. Because many have cited a frequent craving for our chicken, our customers have dubbed it “Because it’s not just fried chicken, it’s Bonchon!”
Our featured menu consists of a variety of fusion Korean and Asian dishes, such as Bibimbap, Japchae and Tteokbokki. We also have an American inspired line featuring Bonchon sliders, tacos, wraps and seasoned french fries.
In addition to excellent food, Bonchon offers a variety of dining experiences. Our franchisees are offered a variety of revenue streams, having the flexibility to choose between three different concepts for their restaurant: sports bar, traditional sit-down or quick service. For the ultimate convenience, some restaurants also offer take-out and delivery services.
- Traditional sit-down: Restaurants provide a friendly, casual dining experience perfect for gathering with family or friends
- Quick service / Fast Casual: Restaurants serve Bonchon to customers looking for express-style dining and to-go orders
- Food Court Concept: Restaurants are streamlined and designed primarily for shopping malls and food courts
Bonchon franchisees benefit through training programs, including a four-week initial training at our headquarters in New York City and an intensive 5 days on-site training during the store opening. Additionally, our franchisees receive support for ongoing operations, quality assurance, public relations and marketing.
Bonchon’s brand extends to Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines, where each global operation caters to a local market. Despite the differentiation strategy per market, we work hard to ensure the uniformity and quality when it comes to our chicken products: all our sauces are made at the same factory in South Korea. In result, every customer experiences the same authentic taste around the globe, no matter where they are.
Cost & Criteria
We are looking for candidates who are:
- Enthusiastic to start their own Bonchon establishment
- Dedicated to operational excellence
- Pursuant to high-quality service and sales performance
- Capable of meeting our financial requirements
- Minimum Liquid Assets of $250,000 – $350,000
- Minimum Net Worth of $700,000
The Initial Franchise Fee to open a Bonchon store is $40,000, and the initial investment varies from $400,000 to $700,000 depending on numerous factors, such as restaurant size and location to name a few.
Steps to ownership
A. Before Signing
- Submit Application. Once your application is received, you will receive more information about franchising at Bonchon.
- Participate in an initial interview with franchise consultant. With your application reviewed by our team, you will be contacted directly by one of our Franchise Consultants to schedule an initial call or in-person meeting.
- Receive and review Bonchon’s franchise disclosure document (FDD). If you would like to go forward with us, we will send you a copy of the Franchise Disclosure Document (FDD). The FDD contains detailed information to franchising with us and also a copy of the franchise agreement you’ll be signing. During this stage, we strongly recommend you to thoroughly review the document with an attorney.
- Submit verifiable financial information. You will be required to submit a copy of latest 6 months bank statements and/or your bank statement & W-2 form*
*Latter two must be submitted together.
- Sign the franchise agreement and get started to owning your very own Bonchon franchise! Welcome to the Bonchon family! Our team will work closely with you in terms of construction, training and opening.
- What are the terms of the franchise agreement?
The franchise fee is a one-time payment of $40,000. The ongoing royalty fee will range from 3.5%- 4.75% of your Gross Revenue. The term of the contract is 10 years with 2 options to renew for 5 years each.
- What does the franchise fee cover?
The franchise fee earns you initial and on-site training, the right to use our signage and logos, site and layout assistance and approval, and interior design package, as well as a cooking manual and operations manual.
- What does initial training involve?
Training will take place at our NYC headquarters and flagship store for 4-weeks. You will work closely with a designated supervisor and headquarters staff. The training fee is included in the franchise fee. You will be responsible for lodging, travel, and other personal costs.
- Does Bonchon offer financing?
Although we do not offer any financing assistance, Bonchon is an SBA-approved franchisor. This will ease the effort of securing your loan.
- What are the site requirements?
For a full-service dine-in restaurant, we recommend a space around 2,000 SF up to 3,000 SF. We will provide you with a more detailed site criteria checklist before you begin your site selection.
- Will Bonchon assist in site selection?
We provide you with the site criteria which you will base your site selection on, and introduce you our real estate partnerships if assistance is needed. After you have a list of acceptable spaces, we will accompany you to perform site review and approval.
- What if I don’t have restaurant or business experience?
Restaurant and business experience is preferred. Candidates with no prior experience are still considered, as you will develop the operational expertise through our training programs.
- What is the franchising process like and how long will it take to open a store?
Please refer to to learn how to become a franchisee. The length of time required to a store depends on many different factors, such as construction and training.
- How much will I make?
In Item 19 of our FDD, you find some financial performance representations and a list of our current franchisees. You are encouraged to use these as resources to do your own research to determine the potential performance of your restaurant.
- Who will build my restaurant?
You will be responsible for the construction of your restaurant. However, we will assist you throughout the construction process with layouts and designs.
- How do I acquire equipment and inventory items?
We will provide you with a list of equipment and inventory items and specifications. You may choose your own vendors, but their products and service must meet our specifications and earn our approval. A few items you will purchase directly from us – we will provide you with a separate list of these items.
- What kind of support does Bonchon offer for grand opening?
We will send one of our supervisors to provide you with on-site training for 5-days around the opening date of your restaurant. They will be there to make sure your restaurant is set up and prepared to operate and will help you get it running.
- Do you have a quality assurance program?
We conduct quality assurance by sending one of our supervisors to your restaurant a few times a year. They may arrive unannounced and spend the day observing your operations. At the end of the observation the supervisor will submit a report to headquarters. We will use this report to provide you with constructive feedback.
- What proprietary items am I required to purchase from Bonchon?
You are required to purchase our sauce, packaging materials, uniforms and a few cooking tools from us.
- How do I franchise outside of the United States?
At this time, we are offering the Master Franchise for undeveloped international territories. As a master franchisee, you will have the exclusive rights to franchise and sub-franchise in designated territories within the country.
- How do I get a copy of your Franchise Disclosure Document?
You will receive an FDD after your first conversation with us following the submission of a complete application.
- Do you provide territorial protection?
Territorial protection is offered to Area Development franchisees only, where they get exclusive rights to a certain territory. We do not specifically define territories, but consider every site on a case by case basis instead.